Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Cupcake Failure

I was so excited to make these Milky Way Cupcakes today.  I went to the store last night to get all the ingredients, so that I could come home today and make them before Bible study tonight.  It couldn't have been a more perfect day either...sun shining and nearly 60 degrees here in Denver, drove home from work with the windows down at around 4pm and got straight to baking.  I had found the recipe for these Milky Way Cupcakes from the Cupcake Project website.  I have always struggled with using cake flour in recipes here in Denver, I believe because of the altitude.  It all started off so well....when I realized that the cupcakes that were delightfully poured into their mini cupcake papers were now a molten volcano in my oven!!  I should have taken a picture of this because it was a MESS!  24 mini cupcakes had now formed into one thick layer of cupcake goo.  Angrily, I took these out of the oven and took them directly to the trash.  Meanwhile I am trying to work on my caramel that was supposed to be spread across the top of them.  The caramel, though, was turning out really well!  One success of the night!  Stubbornly, I am insisting to get these cupcakes right, so that I can bring snack to the group later in the evening.  I scrounge up the ingredients again to make the cupcake batter and start again.  The wet and dry ingredients are all ready to go and I begin to mix them all together with hopes that these will turn out much better than the previous attempt.  I place them in the oven...10 minutes go by and I peak at them.  They are rising nicely and looking like they are going to turn out this time.  Flick the light on again at about 15 minutes and what do I see...molten lava of cupcake AGAIN!  They are bubbling, popping, flowing everywhere and look nothing like cupcakes from the top!  I swear there was steam coming out of my ears at this point, as I frantically am trying to think of: A) what did I do so wrong for them to turn out this way? and B) what am I going to bring to group tonight?!  So I take the "cupcakes" out of the oven and plop them on top of the stove to cool.  Now let me tell you, these things don't even look like cupcakes at this point.  Being curious, I decide to pull one apart and to my surprise, the inside of the cupcake is a nice flaky texture and actually resembles cake!  There still could be saving grace to these cupcakes!  All in all, I take on the tedious task of scraping out all the good cake parts of the cupcakes and crumbling them all up in a bowl to make the perfect little addition to a sundae!  So final piece was Vanilla Bean Ice Cream, Milky Way cupcake crumbs, homemade Southern style caramel and a chocolate drizzle!  Not too bad for having a volcano of cupcake erupt in your oven!

Before the molten lava cupcake disaster...

The batter was incredible to taste...


I couldn't resist posting the pictures of my delicious Valentines Day breakfast at Snooze!!  It's one of my favorite places to go, not only for their Bellinis and Mimosas, but their innovative take on breakfast!  Here is the Pancake of the Day: Red Velvet with White Chocolate Chips-Drizzled with Cream Cheese Frosting and a Pecan Praline Sauce.  Also, I got the Benedicto Tuscano- Tomato Ragout with White Beans, Kale and Squash, as well as, the Upstream Benny, which has Honey cured Salmon on it!  DELICIOUS!  Check them out sometime!


I had to put up a picture from skiing this past weekend too...Breckenridge is one of the most amazing places!!! I love Colorado! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment