Monday, March 28, 2011

Lovin the Louisiana Gumbo

I can't believe that it was over a year ago that I moved down to Louisiana.  I cherish the memories and all the people that I met down there.  Some of the highlights definitely had to be all the delicious food that they have!  One of my fellow Special Olympics friends..."My Spring Watermelon" to be exact, was generous enough to make me a Louisiana cookbook before I left!  I was going through my hoards and I mean hoooooards of recipes and came across her Gumbo recipe.  Since I had the day off today from work, I pledged to myself that I would slave over the stove to make this today.  Definitely worth the interval arm workout that went down while making the roux...note to self next time I make this, don't do an excruciating workout right before.  It makes for a painful time when stirring constantly, so the roux doesn't burn.  Anyway, if you haven't had authentic Gumbo from Louisiana...YOU NEED TO!  

So get down to LA and try some fabulous food, but for now, you can try this recipe! Thanks Tiff!

Tiffany's Louisiana Gumbo

1 lb andouille sausage, coined
2 large chicken breasts, diced
1 tbsp Tony Chachere
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup flour
2 cups onions, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup bell peppers, chopped
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
3 bay leaves
9 cups chicken broth, low sodium & free range
1/2 cup green onions
2 tbsp parsley, chopped
Cooked white rice (I used brown, since that's all I had)

In a large pot, add 1 tbsp oil over medium heat.  Add sausage and cook until brown.  
Remove and set aside.

Season chicken with Tony's and add to pan.  Cook for 5 mins.  Remove and set aside.

Combine 1/2 cup oil and 1 cup flour in the same pan.
Over medium heat, stir constantly for 20-25 mins until roux resembles peanut butter in color.

Add onions, celery and bell pepper.  Cook, stirring constantly, for about 5 mins.
Add sausage, cayenne, and bay leaves.  Mix to combine.  

Add Chicken stock in lowly and still until well combined. 
Bring mixture to a boil and lower to medium heat.  Cook uncover for 1 hour.

Add chicken to pot and cook for 1 1/2 hours (be sure to skim off the fat)
     **the rice I used took an hour to make, so I started the rice about 30 mins after adding the chicken in.
 
Remove from heat and remove the bay leaves.  Add green onion and parsley.

Serve warm over rice. 



No comments:

Post a Comment