Sunday, March 6, 2011

Weekend cooking has commenced!

Don't ask me why I had this intense urge to make a quiche, but I was doing a little spinning at the gym when I felt like I really needed to make a quiche.  I did finish my workout before actually acting up on this urge though.  Only to dart over to the nearest Sunflower Market to get all the ingredients.  Now I know that most quiches are made with cream and such, but since I am not a huge dairy eater, I decided to try it with some coconut milk cream.  The recipe called for quite a bit of cheese, so I thought that my stomach was going to be set with that.  I found the recipe for this quiche on Food Network and kind of made the necessary changes needed with the substitution of coconut milk and egg whites instead of yolks.  Also, I am in loooove with Gruyere cheese.  So delicious!  :)  It reminds me of my first cheese love, Gouda (pronounced Gow-da please!)

Mushroom, Ham and Shallot Quiche (Crustless)
 (adapted from the Food Network)

5-6 slices deli Ham, sliced (I used Honey Ham about dime size thickness)
1 cup fresh Spinach, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
8 oz sliced mushrooms, then chopped
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
6 medium shallots, finely chopped, about 1/2 cup
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup Coconut Milk Creamer
3 large eggs 
3 egg whites
Dash of nutmeg, black pepper and salt
4 ounces grated Gruyere, about 1 cup

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 

In a medium skillet, add 2 tablespoons olive oil, the mushrooms and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring over medium heat, until the mushroom juices evaporate, about 7 to 10 minutes.

Add the shallots and cook until tender and mushrooms are golden, about 3 minutes more. 

Add the garlic and spinach, mix to combine.  Remove from heat and let cool slightly.

Meanwhile, spray a 9-inch glass pie dish with some olive oil.  Sprinkle evenly with the grated Parmesan. 

Place pan on a baking sheet. Scatter half the Gruyere into the pan and place sliced ham on top. 

Add 3/4 of the mushroom and spinach mixture, then the remaining cheese. 

Whisk the coconut milk, eggs and whites in large glass measuring cup. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg to taste. 

Pour the custard over the fillings already in the pan. Top with remaining mushroom and spinach mixture.  (I added some more sliced ham)


 
Bake until the quiche is just set in the center, about 50-60 minutes. Cool completely on a rack before serving.





and on to Dinner...with my other love, Almond Butter! :)

Almond Chicken Soup with Collards, Sweet Potato and Ginger
(adapted from Wholeliving.com)

4 cups chicken stock
1/2 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 cup smooth almond butter
1 cup collard leaves, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 heaping spoonfuls Stonehouse 27 Tamarind & Garlic Sauce, or to taste
 
Combine the stock, onion, garlic, and sweet potato in a stockpot and bring to a boil.

Reduce the heat to a simmer and add the chicken, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes.  

In a small bowl, whisk together the almond butter, 1/4 cup of the soup mixture and Tamarind sauce into a thick paste. 

Add the collard leaves and ginger to the soup and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. 

Stir in the almond butter paste. Season with salt and pepper.  

Ladle the soup into bowls and serve!




All in all, my tummy is very happy this weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment